Rules of Conduct
Leeds and the Thousand Islands Public Library welcomes everyone. The following rules are for the safety and comfort of everyone in the Library. Failure to comply with these rules may result in cost-recovery fees, short or long term suspension of Library privileges, short or long term expulsion from Library property, police involvement and/or prosecution.
- Abusive, threatening and harassing language and/or behaviour is prohibited.
- Continuous, loud noise is not acceptable.
- Animals are not allowed with the exception of guide dogs.
- Food and drink may not be brought into the Library unless approved by the CEO for special programs, events and circumstances.
- Children under 8 years old must not be left unattended in the Library. Children under the age of 8 must be accompanied by parent or adult caregiver, age 18 or older. The Library cannot be held responsible for the welfare of children left in the building. See our Policies Page for more details.
- Willful damage, theft and unauthorized use of Library resources, including computers, will be subject to liability and/or police involvement.
- The Library is a smoke-free and alcohol-free environment.
- Shirt, shoes and appropriate clothing must be worn in the Library.
- Photographing, filming, recording is not permitted in the Library unless authorized by staff.
- Rollerblades, skateboards and other such sports equipment are not to be used on the Library property.
- Loitering on Library property is not permitted.
- Posting notices must be approved by Library staff.
- Solicitation or engaging in a commercial activity is prohibited without prior written approval of the Library.
- Bags, briefcases and other containers must be made available for inspection at the request of staff.
- Patrons must enter and exit the facilities by designated public doorways. Doorways and pathways must be kept clear of all obstruction.
- Patrons are not permitted in staff areas unless accompanied by a staff member.
- Library resources may not be taken into the Library’s public washrooms.
- The Library is not responsible for personal injury or lost or stolen personal items while on the Library premises.
Library staff will make safe and reasonable efforts to deal with inappropriate conduct. Staff will immediately call the police if public, personal or property safety is at all compromised. Staff will submit incident reports to the CEO within 24 hours of a breach of the rules of conduct. The CEO will handle minor conduct infractions. Serious offenses will be reported to the Library Board for further action.